Wednesday, March 30, 2011

At the top of my lungs.

I used to work for the American Cancer society in Hampton, Virginia. When I worked there my commute was about 25 minutes. No big deal, beautiful mid-Atlantic highway lined with ever changing deciduous trees. 25 minutes of my beautiful, midnight blue Ford Thunderbird, my CD collection (probably some tapes in there too!) and me belting out song after song all the way there, and back.

Then I changed jobs. I was recruited by a software developer and went to work at their offices which were about 5 minutes from my house. Great job, flattering and daunting amount of challenge and responsibility. I traveled the country about 2 - 3 weeks a month being a "the expert" at colleges and hospitals who purchased our product.

It was all great.

But something was missing, unsettled. After about 6 months of airports, beta testing, data conversions, customizations, and all the trappings of my grown up job, I realized my daily commute was too short.

I had no idea what a necessity it was to me, during that time in my life, that I get to spend about an hour a day in a state of song belting abandon. It was energizing and relaxing at the same time, it cleared out the cobwebs, it got my blood flowing, and got me ready for the day or erased the stress of the day.

What serves that purpose for me now? What serves that purpose for you? I'd love to know.

3 comments:

  1. Praise Team practice somehow keeps me moving... like priming a pump that's been slowly grinding to a near halt. It's singing. It's belting out notes together shamelessly, it's praising God, it's diving into the poetry of songs. AND, it's with you and other good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is. You are a major contributor to my enjoyment on Sunday nights a practice! I am so glad you are there.

    ReplyDelete