Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ophelia

I am concerned about the girls in our society. How can they grow up in a culture that so pervasively devalues them and still feel precious and nurtured. How can they remain true to themselves and focus on who they are inside and the miracles that happen inside their minds when the world is so focused on their outward beauty. How do we teach girls to remain authentic and not separate into a distinct true self and false self in order to gain approval?

There is much to read on the topic. I am re-reading "Reviving Ophelia" right now and it is rich and insightful and it interrupts my sleep. It is amazing how much differently these words impact me now that I am 40 than they did at 24 during my first read. Back then it was about me, now it is about them.

I have boys now, future men and husbands and fathers. I pray for the women that will enter their lives and shape them. I pray for the impact my sons will have on the tender 10 year old girls they sit next to in class and the professional women they will eventually work alongside. I pray that they will be respecters of their female counterparts. Champions who encourage the females in their lives to shine as brightly as possible and never, for one minute, believe they are anything but equally valued creations.

Marianne Williamson's words have really been speaking to me for the past couple of weeks.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

I guess I'd better get out there and shine my light.

1 comment:

  1. Fear is so deadly to us as individuals...and as a community...as a culture. And yet our fear is what limits our community. Girls are taught to hold back because exploring those "risky" places isn't considered gentle. Well the hell with that! That's what I say anyway. :) Explore. Engage. Enrich. We need EVERYONE to do these things. Where would we be if people didn't do this on a small and grand scale.

    Am I rambling non-scensically? If so...disregard. :)

    ReplyDelete