Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Style Crone

I am hung up. I have developed an unusual attachment to a beautiful blog. (stylecrone.com) It is written by a 67 year old woman named Judith. My path to her was circuitous as I am always inclined to seek contact with people who are willing to step off the common path and seek a more curious and colorful direction.
She wears a hat every day, has a room dedicated to her collection and artfully combines estate sale finds and other eclectic clothing into a wearable work of art on a daily basis. I began reading her blog every day because I was so inspired by her inclination to enrich the lives of people around her with her whimsical clothing ensembles.

Then I read about Nelson. Nelson is her husband of many years. He is an avid rower; teaches classes at the local gym and has a significant following of students who are attracted not only to his rowing accomplishment but his deeply spiritual nature. Nelson also has cancer.

Judith, the Style Crone, photographs her outfit every day and talks about what she has put together and what it means to her. It is impossible for her to avoid comments about her beloved Nelson. He is interwoven into her life. The warp to her weft. She speaks of him with poetic words of love and dedication.

For six months now I have been moved nearly every day by her openness and grace as she allows readers to journey alongside she and Nelson through the emotional ups and downs of chemo and oncology appointments. We have also journeyed with them as they continue a beautiful love story of dedication; creative demonstrations of devoted love and loss.

I am continually amazed at how candidly and openly this grieving woman is able to communicate her feelings on a daily basis. She is attached to her emotions and is using her blog as a means of walking through them, of continuing to feel them and not wall them off.

This is one of the most healthy demonstrations of self care I have seen. It has made me wonder about my own methods. What do I do to intentionally remain balanced and connected to my emotions when things are difficult? If Judith is unable to care for herself and remain centered, how could she possibly provide such support and care for dear Nelson?

It is a beautiful love story. A stunningly open and graceful account of how two people have devoted themselves to each other and continue to be present, living every second of life.

I am wearing a hat right now. A beautiful black fedora. It makes me think of Judith and the lessons she teaches me every day about living and loving well and the beauty that is created from it.

1 comment: