Thursday, June 30, 2011

100 distractions in Starbucks

The kids are farmed out this week.  G1 is at Church camp.  This is year 3 for him and he is a veteran.  It is history repeating itself.  I grew up there, 3rd - 12th grade.  Camper and counselor.  It shaped my personality in a really profound way.  I pray the same for him.  (and I smirk and warn him to stay away from any long legged, ponytailed, freckled, older woman who laughs at his jokes.  "You could end up MARRIED!"  Which makes him roll his eyes at his long legged, freckled Mother who still thinks his Dad is pretty funny.)  


G2 is at gymnastics camp every morning this week.  He is a humming bird of activity.  You can see an aura of energy crackling around him at all times.  He is either darting, leaping, dancing or flipping all the time.  And if he seems still, his eyes are dancing.  I am pretty sure that watching him actually burns MY calories.   Summer is his best season as there is little requirement to sit still behind a desk.  We'll need to be better about finding him a happy medium next year.  We practiced spelling words last year while doing jumping jacks, math facts in between sit ups.  He is a man of action and I know that will serve him well as an adult.  Less so in a school environment that requires still and quiet reflection.  It's all about finding the appropriate time and place.  That's a work in progress.


I'm in Starbucks researching the Oregon Department of Human Services Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children - Child Welfare Policy II-C.1.  Next up... Indian Child Welfare regulations.  I am working with Door to Grace on the application for our license to become a child caring agency so that we can open the shelter for trafficked girls.  It's a great organization, a great goal, God led and survivor informed and there are so many details to be worked through in completing our application.  Fortunately my list is growing shorter and I get to work with some really amazing, intelligent and faithful people.  Next week I see a demonstration on Equine Assisted psychotherapy as we are considering using it in our programming!   


The guy next to me is interviewing for a job.  He's nervous and the interviewer is cold and not making it easy on him.  He is overusing the word "you know".  A pet peeve of mine.  And he is wearing scuffed shoes.  You can tell so much about a man by his shoes.  (they don't have to be expensive, just well cared for)  Doubt he's getting the job.


Four women in a book club on the other side.  Interesting book, one of them talks REALLY loudly and I think the other 3 find her tiresome.  The conversation totally changed the moment she stepped into the ladies room.  Women are so predictable that way.


A three year old boy keeps flirting with me and zooming by and touching my leopard printed shoe, to his exhausted Mother's chagrin.  She just asked me if I would watch him while she ducked to the ladies room with her 5 year old girl.  Man! I remember those days.  Take your time Mama.  Me and your little "ball of energy" will be chillin out here.  


Starbucks is such a great incubator for sociological observation.  Such a broad demographic.  So many specialized consumables.  All walks of life.  So many people relating to each other.  I am the only singular individual in here (and I am writing words that will be read by at least one other person.)  Most of the folks in here are in conversation, being relational.       



There is so much that is great about the advent of the coffee shop on every corner.  It brings people together (it also makes them eat more but that is another topic all together.)  


With so many areas of our lives that leave us isolated, I am encouraged to see Grandmothers bragging, employees gathering, book groups gabbing, couples snuggling, baristas that remember names and an adorable 3 year old boy who knows a good shoe when he sees it!


   

1 comment:

  1. great post. I, too, love the atmosphere of a thriving coffee house--especially when they are eclectically occupied as you've described.

    I hope things come together for the shelter of these wounded girls.. and as for the equine-therapy, i have seen/heard it applied to so many other kinds of therapy, and in successful ways, I hope it will be a good resource for these girls as horses are fantastic creatures.

    Your mention of Indian welfare had me thinking about NARA (Native American Rehabilitation Association) and their use as a possible help/resource? as they are more than just a substance abuse treatment center any more. they may be of help regarding a select population of girls you are reaching out to. Just a thought that came to mind.

    ~Leslie
    ~L

    ReplyDelete